Celtic Christianity from Patrick to the Reformation
Tour Ireland and Scotland
with Professor Glenn Sunshine
June 4-17, 2017
Did you know:
- Patrick’s conversion of the Irish set in motion a religious revival that would last for centuries.
- Building on pagan traditions, Irish clerics became the leading scholars in the Latin world despite coming from a culture with no written language.
- Irish scholars created our modern approach to writing that has made reading a primary means of learning.
- Irish monks probably made it to America in the sixth century.
- Irish missionaries brought Christianity to Scotland, re-evangelized England, and brought education and spiritual renewal the continental Europe.
- The Irish monastery on the island of Iona was so highly respected that it became the historic burial place of the kings of Scotland.
- The Irish origins of the church in England were critical to the English Reformation.
We will be exploring all of this and more during the tour.
Visit Dublin with Trinity College and the famous Book of Kells, The Rock of Cashel, Glendalough, the Hill of Tara, Belfast, Giant’s Causeway (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), Blarney Castle, Celtic Burial sites and Celtic Crosses, the Skellig Experience, the Cliffs of Mohr
Stay in Oban and see the Island of Iona with its Abbey; visit Sterling Castle; tour historic Edinburgh Castle and Edinburgh itself; learn about the Conversion of Scotland to Christianity, Scotland ’s role in English Christianity, and the Reformation in Scotland .
This Tour Includes: 2 nights Dublin, 2 nights Killarney, 1 night, Galway, 2 nights, Belfast, 2 nights Oban, 2 nights, Edinburgh, and 1 night Dublin, 12 Nights all together; all breakfasts, 4 dinners, all gratuities to driver and guides; 1 night Castle stay. All ferries between Ireland and Scotland, and Oban to Iona (all with weather permitting). Roundtrip transfers for group flights between Airport and hotel in Dublin, porterage of one (1) suitcase per person at hotels, gratuities, free time to shop, and Surprises!
Price is $3659 per person, double occupancy.
To sign up for this truly special experience combining history, culture, prehistoric sites, and more, contact Peggy or Gordon for more information at
Space Is Limited. Reserve Your Place Now.
Land arrangements are through the tour operator: JourneysConnect, Cruise King International, Inc. Attendance and costs are based on a minimum of 30 passengers.